Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fix: Apple iPhone Keeps Restarting With Vertical Lines on Screen

Is your Apple iPhone 4 or Apple iPhone 5 running iOS 7 or iOS 8 restarting every few minutes and displaying green, gray or pink vertical lines across the screen just before it powers off? This has happened to my iPhone a few times lately and, fortunately, there's a really simple fix that doesn't involve the hassle of a complete factory reset.

I first noticed a problem with my iPhone 5S restarting a few months back, but it happened only once so I didn't think any more about it. After the restart, the phone worked just fine so there didn't seem any reason to worry.

Last week, though, the iPhone started to restart more frequently and this got gradually worse with the iPhone eventually restarting every two to three minutes. Just before the iPhone powered off to restart, I noticed that vertical pink, green or gray lines appeared on the screen and then the screen gradually faded out to black before the Apple logo appeared.

So I tried everything reasonably possible to get the iPhone working correctly again, including a soft reset, hard reset, a factory reset and then a recovery mode/iTunes factory reset. Still the problem wouldn't go away. My worst fear was of some catastrophic hardware failure that would result in an expensive trip to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store. Happily, though, there's a much easier solution that works perfectly.


Solve the problem of an Apple iPhone that keeps restarting every few minutes with lines on the screen


Tap the Settings button with gray gear icon on the iPhone home screen.


Select "Cellular" from the tabs on the Settings screen.



Toggle the "Cellular Data" switch to the "Off" (grayed out) position. Also disable 4G and Data Roaming if you have these settings activated.



Toggle the "Cellular Data" and all other applicable cellular settings back on to the "On" (green) position.

Power the iPhone back off and on again. That's it! The problem should now be resolved.

If you still do encounter problems, though, try removing the SIM card and repeating this procedure, reinserting the SIM card after you've powered the iPhone off and on again.

I'm not sure why this works, but it certainly did the trick for my iPhone 5S.

UPDATE


Having looked back through this, I should stress that although this fix does work, it only proved to be a temporary repair -- enough to keep the iPhone useable for a few weeks. After that I'm afraid the inconvenience of having to repeat this procedure became too much so the only alternative was either to pay for a new battery (the iPhone was out of warranty) or ditch the phone altogether.

I was a few months off my contract renewal date so decided to buy out the rest of the contract and switch to a Nokia Lumia 930 Windows Phone instead. I'm afraid that after my experience with this Apple iPhone I will never, ever buy another iPhone again. The cynic in me suggests there's an element of built-in redundancy with the iPhone (amazing how many people say they experience this problem shortly after the iPhone goes out of warranty) so it's either that or a serious problem with the iPhone. Either way, Apple has lost my business for good!





5 comments:

  1. Hi there I have the same problem exaclty the same, it started a few times then it got worst. Tried your solution, but havent been able to repair it...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there I have the same problem exaclty the same, it started a few times then it got worst. Tried your solution, but havent been able to repair it...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, did you try the method with removing the SIM card after disabling cellular data before restarting the phone and enabling cellular data again? If you did, then regrettably the battery on the iPhone probably needs replacing. If the phone is out of warranty and so more than a year old, replacing the device might be more economic (depending on the terms of your contract). Sorry if this proves the case for you. Go to the iPhone support section of the Apple website and try an OTA diagnostic for confirmation of this -- https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action (battery/charing section).

      I have to say I have serious doubts about the quality of the iPhone 5S and have been disappointed with it.

      Delete
  3. This is realy a Nice blog post read on of my blogs It is really helpful article please read it too my blog FACEBOOK MESSENGER NOT WORKING. you can visits our websites or toll free no +1-866-558-4555. solve your problem fastly.

    ReplyDelete